Sunday, July 8, 2007

The best laid plans...

I would love to report that I have not updated my blog in a few days because I was having so much fun in Nha Trang. Sunning on the beach, Snorkling in the turqouise blue water, relaxing on a boat trip to Monkey Island....

I really would love to report that.

Instead I spent the entire stay in Nha Trang in bed with a terrible cold. I missed the whole thing. And nothing adds insult to injury like the thought that I paid for the flight and hotel only to gaze at the inside of my eyelids, the ceiling of my hotel room, and oh yeah...the bathroom...JOY!

Once again I met the kindest people ever. The head security guard was the only one at the hotel who spoke english and he took me under his wing like the lame chicken I was. He brought me food, water, and medicine. He gave me this crazy herbal scented oil rub thing that he massaged into my back with the force of a hundred elephants.

When I was feeling a bit better he walked me to to the pharmacy, then to a spot to get dinner.

If he didn't save my life physically, he sure did mentally. I can only recall being that ill a few times in my life. Let me tell you it is a VERY frightening experience when you are alone in a foreign (developing) country and few people speak your language and you are very sick.

I am now on my 1 day stop in Ho Chi Mihn City (Saigon) and unfortunatly still lack the energy to get out there and see the city. I am going to head out for lunch and take it easy as I want to save up strength for Ankgor Wat.

I wish you all (and myself) good health and happy travels!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh no...buddy! You can't get sick. The rest of us are counting on you. Do rest up and get well so you can continue on your journey with the pizazz that you have dazzled us with so far! So sorry to hear...

On another note, poor David could could share a sick-in-a-foreign-country tale that rivals yours. Although he was staying in a local hotel that included a crazy rooster cock-a-doodle-doo-ing for hours on end!!!!!!!

Miss ya! Travel safely!!!!
- Jenna

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for that security guard who spoke English. Hope you are doing better. Enjoying the blog completely. You are having the trip of a lifetime. It will be hard to return to everday living in the USA. Take care, Sharon

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! I can imagine how scary it was.
Hopefully soon your energy level is back to normal so you can take vietnam by storm.

Anonymous said...

Sickness...is a part of the experience. Usually it happens to all of us at least once. You are forunate that you were at a nice, clean hotel with a Western toilet...imagine if you were in the back-country with nothing but a whole in the ground and no running water.
See--fortune is different to those who define it.
We wish you safe, healthy travels in the future and HCMC and Angkor are sure to please.
Cheers.
-Jacques